Rolling green hills

Residents of Benton County: Gun Rights Restoration in WA

If you’re living in Benton County, gun rights are a way of life. But there are many ways that a person can lose these rights:

  • Felony conviction
  • Domestic violence conviction
  • Mental incapacitation
  • Drug addiction or illegal drug use
  • A protection order (often called a “restraining order”) against you
  • A dishonorable discharge from the military
  • Various other reasons—see RCW 9.41.040 (Washington law), and 18 U.S.C. §§ 921 – 931 (federal law)

Note that if you were convicted of a Class A felony or certain violent crimes, it is currently impossible to restore your firearm rights in Washington State (other than a pardon from the governor).

Otherwise, in order to restore your firearm rights here’s what you have to do:

Complete a Waiting Period

The process for Benton County gun rights restoration begins with time. Once you lose your gun rights, you usually can’t get them back right away. State law typically requires that you wait anywhere from 3 to 10 years, depending on the circumstances.

This shows the court that you’ve moved on from your mistakes of the past and have lived your life as a productive and responsible member of society.

Pay Back Your Debts on Domestic Violence Cases

For DV cases the next step is that you must have successfully completed everything that a court may have ordered you to do—any court, not just one in Benton County. Gun rights are determined at the state and federal level.

A DV court’s sentencing requirements often include things like:

  • Serving your time
  • Completing your probation/parole
  • Completing your community service
  • Completing all DV Treatment and Anger Management Courses
  • Paying any fines or restitution

It’s that last one, paying any court-ordered fines or restitution, that often catches people by surprise, and it’s something we can investigate for you at Findley & Rogers.

Petition the Court to Restore Your Rights

Once you’ve completed the waiting period and paid back your dues to society, then it’s time for the legal process of petitioning the court to restore your rights.

Findley & Rogers can help you do that right here in Benton County. Gun rights that were lost at the state level can be restored not only in the county that sentenced you but also in the county where you currently reside. So, if you were convicted in Whatcom County, you certainly don’t have to go all the way back there. The same goes for expunging your criminal record in Benton County!

Get Back Your Rights!

At Findley & Rogers, firearm rights restoration is one of our core specialties and motivating factors as attorneys. There are many people out there who made some mistake long ago. They have long since repaid their debts to society and moved on with their lives, but they don’t realize that they can reclaim their lost gun rights, as well as clear their criminal record.

Contact Findley & Rogers today for a free consultation to discuss your situation in Benton County. Gun rights restoration is our passion, and we can also help you get your concealed pistol license, and we can help you out with NICS appeals as well.